In this beauty; Ebonyi

I’ll be in Ebonyi State, Nigeria for the next 1 year (trust me to give you details of my experiences and encounters in this place), for compulsory service of my fatherland, through the NYSC scheme. I have been specifically posted to Army Day Secondary School, Abakaliki (the state capital). The state has been in existence for over 15 years, and I must confess, its development is as fast as the speed of a snail.
There are so many things wrong with this beautiful place, but as always, we are constantly enjoined to look on the brighter side of things. 
                          
One of the things that impressed me as soon as I got to Abakaliki is the road construction going on in the state. Well and properly constructed roads. It’s a big plus to the state and her government; granting access, easy access.
I honestly hope to enjoy my stay in this state with so many unharnessed potential, but I have a big problem, and that is the high cost of living in the state, the capital to be specific. It’s a problem to me because the state is not economically (financially) oriented. Unlike its eastern counterparts, (Abia, Anambra, etc,) whose economic strength is constantly boosted by the bee-hive of business activities going on, I cannot say same for Ebonyi state. One of its popular markets at Vanco (bank road) is not as busy as the roadside market in Onitsha, yet things are quite expensive, even foods produced in the state is sold no less as it is sold in other states. Probably a little difference in price. It’s so little that it is almost insignificant, a difference.
                   


Got to go now. I’ll write about the school I have been posted to, soon. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment