Ndi'igbo: the reply

This is a reply I got from the blog post I put up yesterday about NDI'IGBO. On this note, I must then say that I do not in anyway impose my opinion on my reader. As a matter of fact, I publish my opinion on certain issues that interest me and I welcome different opinions from my reader, whether positive or negative. 
Just read your post and found the articulation and views expressed therein interesting. However, I wish to make the following observations;

If you intend to draw your readers into participating in your conversations - and I think you should - you must mellow down your tone and quit calling those whose opinions differ from yours names.
You should also take the trouble to research your topics in detail, so that your opinions can be " informed"; for instance, if an estimated 300,000 Igbo people were murdered in cold blood in the North in 1966 and neither the Federal nor regional governments held anyone accountable for the crimes, how else do you think Ndigbo should have reacted other than going "home" and protecting themselves? If a similar evil is visited on them (us) today, what would you advise? If Ndigbo didn't fight, then what do you think would have been their station in Nigeria today?
I don't think it's right to denigrate those who held positions of authority in previous governments simply because the government of the day has been dishing out lies about them and calling them thieves. The government should go to court not to the press if really these guys stole. Meanwhile, Abacha who practically stole this country blind is still being worshiped in the North including by Buhari the "saint" even in the face of the continued repatriation of billions of dollars stolen by him. Why are we always itching to demean our own?
The right to self-determination is an internationally recognized human right, do not insult those who choose to exercise it. I think that If your neighbor thinks the kitchen has become too hot and you think otherwise, you should give him the thermometer not insults! And if you take the trouble to acquaint yourself with the many feats recorded in Biafra in its short life and you'll see how wrong you are that hunger and starvation will be their lot if it happens again. Interrogating the reasons for the reoccurring calls for secession in the country may be more helpful if you ask me, and by the way, please note that almost every ethnic group in the country has made such calls at one time or the other.
Finally, polite and informed arguments will advance your opinions better as they would not put off those who hold different opinions. Always remember that one wants to hold a conversation with you on an issue if they know your mind's already made up that they are stupid!



No comments:

Post a Comment